Today we are going to work in groups of 3 as the basis for our review of commas.
Each group will be assigned a rule:
- Group 1 – FANBOYS
- Group 2 – Items in a series
- Group 3 – Non-essential information
- Group 4 – Introductory element
- Group 5 – Interrupter (however, moreover, etc.)
- Group 6 – Direct address to a person
Each group member must pick a job:
- Rule Definer
- Write a clear and concise definition of the rule
- Be prepared to share the rule with the class
- Question Writer
- Write one multiple choice question where there is a comma error.
- The error in the sentence should be underlined.
- There should be 4 choices, all of which are attempts to correct the error.
- One of the answers should correctly use the comma based on your group’s assigned rule.
- Rule Changer
- Take the original incorrect sentence the Question Writer wrote.
- Then, change the sentence in such a way where the new sentence correctly uses one of the other comma rules of your choice.
HW: Review all of the comma rules as you prepare for Friday’s quiz.