Essential Question: What is the significance of fear at this point in Lord of the Flies?
This is the question that will drive our analysis today.
- Close Analysis of Two Key Quotes
- “The thing is – fear can’t hurt you any more than a dream. There aren’t any beats to be afraid of on this island,” (Jack 82-83).
- “You have doctors for everything, even the inside of your mind. You don’t really mean that we got to be frightened all the time of nothing? Life…is scientific, that’s what it is. In a year or two when the war’s over they’ll be traveling to Mars and back. I know there is no beast – not with claws and all that, I mean – but I know there isn’t no fear, either…unless we get frightened of people,”(Piggy 84).
- “What I mean is…maybe it’s only us,”(Simon 89).
- What do we learn about fear in Simon’s quote on page 89? Your response should be at least 5 sentences, and it should include the following three words:
HW: Read chapter 6 and complete a dialectical journal.