Today we are going to edit our work with partners.
Read your partner’s essay, and respond to the tasks below.
For each bullet, you MUST WRITE SOMETHING on your partner’s paper. Also, please specifically write genuine complements directly on the paper. The compliments can be in relation to the tasks below, or they can be about anything else you read.
- Identify the thesis
- Does it explicitly use the word “theme”?
- Is the identified theme one word?
- Is the theme too wordy? Can it be shortened or clarified?
- Does it make sense?
- Identify the topic sentences
- Do they use the same language as the thesis?
- Does the topic sentence explicitly use the word “theme”?
- Does it seem repetitive?
- Is the reference to a metaphor valid?
- Is the word “metaphor” used?
- Is there a clear statement identifying the metaphor along with a valid explanation?
- __________ is a metaphor for ____________ because…
- Does the reference to the metaphor help to prove the topic sentence & the thesis?
- Is the reference to a symbol valid?
- Is the word “symbol” used?
- Is there a clear statement identifying the symbol along with a valid explanation?
- __________ is a symbol for ____________ because…
- Does the reference to the symbol help to prove the topic sentence & the thesis?
- Are the quotes properly introduced?
- Is the tone of either quote referenced or explained?
- Can you find three words in the essay that you can simply cut out without changing the meaning of the sentence? If so, suggest the word(s) be deleted.
- Edit your essay based on the comments from your partner
- Final drafts must be submitted through Turnitin.com by 11:59 Friday night
- However, I suggest you upload the essay tonight so you can address any problems with me in class tomorrow